Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Journal 7: Professional Learning Network

Tuesday, December 9, 2013
 

    
This experience was my first introduction to Professional Learning Networking, HTML and CSS and designing web pages. I feel like I was learning a foreign language.  Opening a Twitter account and researching teaching materials on the Digg Reader was fresh and new also. The existence of affinity groups was eye opening. I had heard about blogging, but was introduced to the practice of  repeated postings to my own blog with Blogger. I never new the vastness and just how huge social media really is until taking Ged 512. I now see and know that I need become more involved from a business and professional perspective. I have discovered a whole new world.
    
Use of  the Digg Reader enables preparation for class assignments and lesson plans. Additional research can be done to see what is taking place in the world of art. Also, for me it is a good tool to be enlightened on what other professionals in the health and beauty industries are doing. It is good to know what is taking place at the private and community college level. What is being taught, how teaching is delivered, as well as get a peek into what is being thought.
      
I previously had a Twitter account, but did not use it or any other social media. Everyone is all abuzz about Twitter. Being a business person I now realize a social media presence is now essential. It is the new way of marketing yourself, networking, developing a following and staying informed. The blog roll is a valuable tool for staying informed of what your peers and classmates are doing with some of our assignments. The blog roll can be a great communication tool.
     
The affinity group Classroom 2.0 is really big on Global Education. In today's society, we no longer have to hold meetings in the confines of four walls, stay in expensive hotels, and nibble on gourmet food we can't pronounce. Advances in technology have fueled the growth of meeting virtually, giving people the ability to actively participate in team meetings no matter where they are in the world. We can voice our experiences and views to a much greater audience. Indeed, this is a great idea to to have virtual conferences to increase awareness and spread information. Here are a few comments from some of the attendees:
 
"This conference is a great example on what global means. Speakers, presenters and public from all over the world talking, showing and listening about education. The world is indeed flat." -Catalina Valenzuela

"Loved the chance to learn, share and grow both as an educator and as a person who wants to stay abreast of changes and innovation." -Effie Kyrikakis

"An awesome gathering of educators from all over the world with valuable contributions to improve education as a whole. A fantastic demonstration of a global learning event." -Almerinda Girabaldi

"Never before have I seen such an incredible array of resources - and inspiration. I only wish I didn't need to sleep, so I could attend them all live!" -Dr. Jessie Voigts

"Thanks for providing this global forum that truly flattens the world of learning." -Jerry Blumengarten
       
 Everything that I was introduced to and learned in this course is invaluable and  appreciated. That was a great introduction and overview of the Dreamweaver, CCS, and Photoshop applications.  I am continuing to learn how to use all of them.  I need to continually practice, practice and colaborate with my classmates . Additionally, I will need to use the Digg Reader, stay connected with Affinity Groups, and stay abreast of apps and their new developments.

Posted by Robin Jarnagin

No comments:

Post a Comment